At The Willows, our PE curriculum is based on the National Curriculum and we use The PE Hub as a tool for teaching high quality Gymnastics, Games and Dance sessions.
We believe PE is an opportunity to develop the whole child by:
- Strengthening thinking and decision-making skills.
- Building and increasing confidence and self-esteem
- Developing character and resilience
- Enhancing their commitment and desire to improve
- Allowing opportunities for enjoyment, fun and to be free-spirited
- Fostering feelings of safety and security
We aim to provide a high-quality curriculum which inspires all of our pupils regardless of ability or need to succeed and excel in physically demanding activities and a range of competitive sports whether this be competing against themselves or against others.
PE provides endless opportunities for our pupils to become physically active and confident in a way that supports their mental and physical health, wellbeing and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed our school values of resilience, ambition and respect.
In Gymnastics, children learn to continuously revisit basic movements, building upon them as they progress through the school. Children develop both individual and collaborative routines and gain the confidence to share these with precision and pride.
In Games, children are taught gross motor skills and fundamental movement skills which can then be applied to a wide range of sports. All children are encouraged to develop their sportsmanship and teamwork skills through a variety of activities. Games lessons are fun, interactive and teach our children the importance of sustaining active, healthy lifestyles.
In Dance, childrens' creativity is explored through the use of a range of stimuli and they are encouraged to work independently and collaboratively. Our Dance curriculum exposes our children to a range of themes, dance styles and cultures from around the world. Children develop their confidence, reflective skills and have opportunities to share and celebrate their individual and group achievements.
Through physical education we believe children should:
- Experience a broad range of activities through curriculum PE, including gymnastics, dance, games, outdoor Education, athletics, and swimming.
- Know how to stay fit, healthy, and active and enjoy doing so, choosing to engage in physical activity and sport in their own time.
- Learn to win and lose, support others and be supported, showing sportsmanship and good character.
- Work as part of a team towards a common goal as well as individually improving their performance.
- Be allowed to be creative in a range of activities.
- Play competitively, respecting officials and other players.
- Develop spiritually, morally and culturally through diverse activities and opportunities.